End Homelessness Winnipeg
In recent years, the work of the Winnipeg Poverty Reduction Council has focused on ending homelessness. In late 2012, WPRC was the impetus behind and support for the multi-sector Task Force on Homelessness. Significant research and a comprehensive process of community engagement and dialogue culminated in the release of the Task Force’s 2014 Report on “The Plan to End Homelessness in Winnipeg” as well as the “What We Heard” report.
A principle recommendation of the plan was the establishment of an independent organization to manage the Plan to End Homelessness. As a result, a new organization known as End Homelessness Winnipeg (EHW) was incorporated. EHW’s inaugural, multi-sectoral board was established in early 2015. In November of 2015, Mr. Louis Sorin was hired as EHW’s first President and CEO.
As the new organization was coming together, WPRC continued to provide critical administrative and backbone support as EHW’s new staff team was being recruited and office space established.
Going forward, EHW now has multi-year funding agreements in place with the Government of Manitoba, the City of Winnipeg, the WRHA and United Way of Winnipeg. EHW now serves as a backbone support organization on a collaborative effort to end homelessness in Winnipeg. Key functions include:
– Brokering housing stakeholder relationships and coordinating collaborative efforts;
– Setting priorities and guiding implementation of the Plan to End Homelessness;
– Developing new funding sources and raising new money through donations, grants, and sponsorship;
– Providing funding for system supports, monitoring progress and adjusting approaches and work plans as appropriate;
– Convening stakeholders to develop new strategic plans as required to build on successes achieved and lessons learned;
– Building public support for ending homelessness;
– Evaluating and reporting publicly on progress.
To learn more about End Homelessness Winnipeg and to keep up-to-date with the work of EHW, visit www.endhomelessnesswinnipeg.ca .
Winnipeg Boldness Project
The Winnipeg Boldness Project is aimed at transforming the well-being of young children in Point Douglas. This includes substantially increasing the number of children in Point Douglas ready to learn when they enter school. The Project involves a period of intensive engagement, co-designing and testing of innovation opportunities, leading into strategic intervention. The Project is based on the recognition that children and families in Point Douglas face many obstacles and that if we work differently – combining the wisdom and resources of the community with those outside its boundaries – we can find a bold solution that will improve outcomes for children and their families. Here is the link to the projects website: http://www.winnipegboldness.ca